Mike, Class of 2014
Join our community to receive our quarterly newsletter and learn about all the exciting activities and programs at Workshops for Warriors
Mike Found Workshops for Warriors During Recovery
Mike is a graduate who successfully transitioned into a civilian career with training and support from Workshops for Warriors. Mike was born in 1990 in Phoenix, Arizona. Shortly after turning 18 he enlisted in the United States Marine Corps. In 2008, he was deployed to Afghanistan as an Infantry Rifleman and envisioned a long military career.
However, in August 2010, he suffered severe injuries after stepping on an Improvised Explosive Device (IED). After a nearly three-year recovery, Mike was medically retired in June 2013.
He says many of his fellow veterans struggled to find meaningful work. “As I recovered, I was unsure whether I could continue to work. I heard from a friend about Workshops for Warriors and started taking classes. This allowed me to quickly transition into a job in advanced manufacturing.”
Mike has earned more than 20 nationally-recognized machining credentials while at Workshops for Warriors. He is now working towards a mechanical engineering degree.
Mike appreciates the long-term potential of his new career as a machinist. “The average age of machinists is about 58, so I am learning a field that I, and other veterans, have the potential to ‘rule’ in the future—with great job security,” he said. “I envision myself working in a manufacturing environment for the rest of my career.I hope to achieve a high management position at the peak of my career.”
Mike appreciates the opportunities now available to him. “Workshops for Warriors set me up with a new future. But also, this program can help our entire economy as it grows—putting our veterans to work where they can make a difference.
Mike received the following nationally recognized credentials:
- 3-Axis CNC Milling Machine Setup (New Control)
- 3-Axis CNC Milling Machine Setup (Old Control)
- 3-Axis CNC Milling Machine Programming
- AMADA FOM2
- CNC Lathe Programming
- CNC Lathe Setup (New Control)
- CNC Lathe Setup (Old Control)
- CNC Turning Skills II
- Flowmaster Programming and Waterjet Operation
- Mill Design and Toolpaths X6 (Associate Level)
- NIMS: Job Planning, Benchwork, & Layout
- NIMS: Measurement, Materials, & Safety
- NIMS: CNC Milling Operator
- NIMS: CNC Milling: Programming Setup & Operations
- NIMS: CNC Turning Operations
- NIMS: CNC Turning: Programming Setup & Operations
- SOLIDWORKS Associate – Mechanical Design (CSWA)